Monday, March 18, 2013

Recipe Week: Poppyseed Chicken

This whole week I'll be posting some of our favorite dinner recipes that the whole family likes. This first one came from a friend of mine about 5 years ago and I have been making it religiously ever since. See my notes at the bottom of the recipe for changes that I have made.

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream

Topping:
1 T poppy seeds
1 1/2 cups Ritz crackers, crumbled
1 stick butter, melted

Boil chicken for 15 minutes. Place chicken in baking dish. Mix soup, milk, and sour cream and pour over chicken. Mix melted butter, crumbled crackers, and poppyseeds. Sprinkle over chicken.

Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

**We like this dish with a side of mashed potatoes and green beans**

NOTES:

I don't buy chicken breasts so I used a whole chicken. I boil the whole chicken, shred the meat, and place the shredded chicken in the baking dish. I then pour on the toppings as directed.

As for the Cream of Chicken soup, I can't encourage the use of Campbell's soups since they are full of chemicals (blech), but I also know its sometimes hard to make your own cream of anything soup. I found a Cream of Chicken soup made by Pacific Foods that is organic and all natural. It also comes in a tetra-pak box so no worries about a BPA lined can.

Although, even I would admit that the Ritz crackers taste the best in this recipe, any plain butter type cracker would work.

Lastly, I cut down the amount of butter to 3/4 of a stick instead of a whole stick and that much butter worked just as well

No comments:

Post a Comment