Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Bible Study Fellowship

I have been wanting to write a short post on the bible study I have been a part of for almost 3 years now.  I had never heard of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) until a couple years ago when I then heard the name mentioned from 2 different sources and decided to look into it.  I googled the organization and found their website and read more about it.  I found a class in my area and contacted the person in charge of that class to find out how to get signed up.  It's free so I thought there is no reason not to try it and if it wasn't a good fit for me I could stop anytime.  I love it though and have learned so much in the past 3 studies.

My first year we studies the book of Isaiah, last year was the book of Acts as well as many of the letters written by Paul, and this year we are into Genesis.  We meet once a week for 2 hours.  The first hour that we meet we are in small groups discussing the study questions we have been working on for the week.  The second hour we hear a lecture on the chapter(s) we are on.  Then we get notes and study questions for the following week as we leave.

The BSF year follows the school year so we begin in September, there is a break for Christmas, spring break and we are finished in May.  I go to the women's day class but there is also a women's night class and a men's night class in our area.  I even talked Dan into going to the men's class this year.  There are introduction classes every month so you can try it out anytime and not wait until a new study begins in September.

Here is a little bit about BSF from their website:


What began more than 50 years ago as a desire of a small group of women to deepen their faith through a weekly Bible study now includes men, women, and children around the world--all with that same desire.
A. Wetherell Johnson
A. Wetherell Johnson led that first Bible study ... and the organization that grew from it. In fact, in its 50-year history, BSF has had just four leaders: Miss Johnson, Rosemary Jensen, Jean Nystrand, and current director Susie Rowan. After relocating from Southern California to Oakland in 1958, BSF's headquarters eventually landed in San Antonio, Texas, where it has been since 1980.

An active board of directors helps shape the spiritual and organizational direction of BSF. A small, committed staff provides day-to-day operational leadership, while volunteers from near and far help accomplish key everyday tasks.
In all, there are over 1,000 BSF classes with 200,000 class members in 38 nations across six continents! Over 800 of the classes are held in the U.S.


Check here to see if there is a class that meets in your area!

No comments:

Post a Comment