Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Recipe Week: Chicken Enchilada Bake

I tore this one out of a magazine a year or two ago because most all of the ingredients are things I have on hand all of the time. I like that about new recipes. Making new combinations of the things I already have in my pantry or freezer. I'm also a big fan of 1 dish meals/casseroles. With 3 very distracting and needy little people hovering around me daily, especially between the hours do 3 and 5, I love dumping the ingredients together and throwing it in the oven. Done. I love this dish and if you like cilantro then you will too!

 Salt and pepper to taste
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken
3 T olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 bell peppers, orange and yellow, thinly sliced
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup sour cream
2 T lime juice
1 cup fresh cilantro (if you use dry, just use about half as much)
4 oz pepper jack cheese, shredded (1 cup)
8 sheets fillo dough, thawed

 Heat oven to 425. Boil chicken, let cool, and shred. Heat 2 T oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper and cook, covered, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add garlic and peppers and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until just tender. Stir in the corn, sour cream, and lime juice. Fold in the chicken, cilantro, and cheese. Transfer for a 2 quart casserole dish. Scrunch sheets of fillo dough loosely and place on top of chicken mixture. Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment