Monday, April 26, 2010

Homemade baby food

I have made almost all of my girls' baby food. The only time I have used store bought is when we go out of town and stay at a hotel. I wouldn't want to risk the homemade food going bad.

When I was making baby food for Magnolia, I found the process of cutting, steaming, pureeing, pouring, freezing and putting into bags a little daunting and not much fun. I would make large batches at once so that I wouldn't have to do it as often and so she probably didn't eat as wide a variety of different foods as she should have.

A couple of Christmases ago, my mother-in-law got me this Beaba babycook and I absolutely LOVE it. It is so easy to make babyfood now and can still do it beforehand and freeze some or I can simply steam some and puree while I'm making dinner for the rest of us. This machine (sent from God) steams perfectly and then purees all in one bowl. The clean up is easy which makes my life so much easier! And the food comes out so perfect and creamy. I have even steamed veggies and not pureed them but cut them up for both the girls to snack on.

It is a bit pricey, but if you or someone you know plans on making all of their baby food, I'm sure it will pay for itself.

First you steam, then you puree, then you're done.

Peas ready for the freezer.This is what I use to freeze the food. I purchased it at the Soft Landing.Pears ready to eat! Mmmmm.......peaches

1 comment: