Friday, September 24, 2010

Canning Applesauce

About a week ago, I made up some applesauce and canned it using the hot water bath method. I couldn't get over how easy it was. I only had a couple that didn't seal out of 24 pints and I just threw those in the freezer as is. Being only pint size, they really don't take up much room in the freezer and I'll just use those up first.

Then today my friend, Emily, and I cranked out a bunch more. I did another dozen pints and she did a dozen pints and a half dozen quarts. Should last us awhile. It is much more fun to can with a friend.

We used an apple peeler-corer-slicer to prep the apples. Then put them in a blender until we reached an applesauce consistency. After that we just poured them in jars and put 5 pints in the hot water bath at a time. We really had an assembly line going and got them done quick.The first jar is peaches. I found them at the farmer's market since I missed the u-pick season and my mom canned those. The middle is applesauce with cinnamon from the first batch I did over a week ago. I decided not to add cinnamon to all of the jars in case I wanted to have cinnamon-free sauce sometime and I can always add cinnamon later when we eat it. The last jar is pears that my mom also did from her pear tree. Aren't they pretty!
I found 12 dozen jars at a garage sale for $8 a couple months ago and although we are working hard to fill them, I still have quite a few to use. Any fall canning ideas for me? I would love to hear a recipe for salsa that cans well.

1 comment:

  1. You are doing so great with doing all the canning and freezing, this winter it will all come in handy:)

    ReplyDelete