Monday, September 6, 2010

Apple Picking

This morning we headed up to Springhope Farm in Galien, MI to pick some Gala apples. They are just a small family owned farm with about 20 acres of orchards. This is the same farm we visited last year and the apples were so good, we decided to go back. I could pick apples all day, especially on a cool day like today. We picked about 55 pounds and weren't even there 40 minutes. So if I picked all day....We picked Gala apples since they made such good applesauce last year. This year I hope to make even more and try to can it (last year I froze) to free up some freezer space.
This is a fun activity for small kids since it doesn't take long to get a LOT of fruit. And being in the fall, the weather isn't as hot as when we have picked strawberries or blueberries. I was hoping to pick some peaches too but the season had just ended a couple days ago. So now I'm on a mission to find about a bushel at the farmer's market or another local farm. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Great pics! We might have to try that farm, we go for Charlotte's school ...I think its Treemendous ?...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures! Such a nice day for picking apples, fun & family......

    ReplyDelete