Thursday, February 21, 2013

Homemade Spice Mixes

For the past few years I have been making my own seasoning blends and keeping them on hand for when I need them in recipes. I make a large quantity at once and use a small amount so it lasts quite a long time. This way it becomes just as much of a convenience item as a packet of Lipton onion soup mix or Ortega taco seasoning mix; which is what I had used in the past. These blends also leave out all the MSG and other yucky ingredients, and I'm sure they are much lower in sodium.

Here are the 3 blends I make and use. All of them fit nicely in a pint sized mason jar for storage.

Taco Seasoning Mix

  • 12 T Chili Powder
  • 1 T Garlic Powder
  • 1 T Onion Powder
  • 1 T Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1 T Dried Oregano
  • 2 T Paprika
  • 6 T Cumin
  • 2 T Sea Salt
  • 3 T Black Pepper

Use 2 Tablespoons/1 pound of ground beef.


Onion Soup Mix

  • 1 1/3 cup Dried Minced Onion
  • 2 T Parsley Flakes
  • 4 t Onion Powder
  • 4 t Turmeric
  • 2 t Sea Salt
  • 2 t Sucanat
  • 1 t Black Pepper

Use 2-4 Tablespoons per recipe.


Chili Seasoning

  • 20 T Chili Powder
  • 5 t Paprika
  • 5 t Oregano
  • 5 t Cayenne Pepper
  • 5 t Cumin
  • 5 t Sea Salt
  • 5 t Black Pepper

Use 3 Tablespoons/1 pound of ground beef.

1 comment: