Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Big Snow

Once upon a time we woke up to this...

A little bit of snow coming down like a downpour of rain for like 12 hours straight.
 I thought "we haven't gotten this much snow since we've lived in our house".  We've lived here for almost 6 years.

Then I found out we haven't gotten this much snow since before I was born.  I was born almost 30 years ago.

We set a record that day.  Something like over 38 inches when it was all said and done.

We shoveled 25 times that day.
 The girls couldn't shovel but managed to eat their body weight in snow to help dig us out.
 It was powdery and dusty and absolutely amazing and beautiful.  I wouldn't have wanted to miss it for the world.  I wonder if I'll see this much snow at one time again in my lifetime?
 Magnolia had a ball.  She never wanted to come in to warm up, but I was freezing and made her come back in throughout the day.
 We spent a lot of time outside in awe of the massive amount of snow right in our back (and front) yard.
 Magnolia, who was on a Alice in Wonderland kick was busy digging rabbit holes in snow stacked taller than her.
 Boothe got cold often and only stayed out for 15 minutes or so at a time.
 I took lots of pictures and video to try and capture the amount of snow.  It's hard when EVERYTHING just looks white to show how high the snow was.
 Since this Saturday in early January, we have gotten more snow most days.  There were a couple days of melt off though so the amount is down to a normal level.
 We made a path out to the playhouse which, because there wasn't any wind, had little snow inside.  Out side, the snow was all the way up to the windows though!
 Then things got crazy and people began throwing themselves into the snow....

Before:
And after.
 Before:
 And after.
 And again, before:
 And after.
 Before:
 During:
 And after.
 And lastly, before:
 And after.
Happy snow day!

5 comments:

  1. oh i am so glad to know we are not the only ones who threw their kids into the snow!!! :) your pictures are great as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great pictures!! You all looked like you were having a blast.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. i cant wait til cora is older. i love playing in snow. im jelous at how much you guys got!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness -- I love snow days when everyone is home can play!! Who had more fun -- kids or adults!?! Hey, we are ALL kids at heart!! Can't wait to see my girls this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete