Sunday, December 19, 2010

Gift in a Jar

If you are looking for a last minute gift for someone here is a recipe that I used as a gift for a few friends this year.  Or you could always just make the cookies!
Oatmeal Scotchies
Ingredients


1 wide-mouth quart (4-cup) canning jars with lid and rings
3/4 Cup packed brown sugar
1/2 Cup white sugar
3/4 Cup butterscotch baking chips
2 Cup rolled oats
1 Cup all-purpose flour
1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1/2 Teaspoon salt

Instructions

1. In large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt. Layer ingredients in order given in canning jars, layering flour mixture last.
2. Cut appropriate amount of 7-inch circles from cotton fabric. Top each jar with fabric circle, and tie with ribbon.
3. Be sure to write the directions out on a gift tag and attach to jar with a pretty ribbon.

Recipe Instructions (include on gift tag):

Empty mix into large mixing bowl, mix thoroughly.  Add 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened, 1 beaten egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla.  Mix until completely blended.  Form 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees until edges are lightly browned, about 10-12 minutes.  Cool 5 minutes on cookie sheet, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Makes 3 dozen cookies.

4 comments:

  1. Jer made these cookies last weekend after he came home from my parents house and I was still up there. Good thing he made them and not me. :)
    They were so yummy! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice mix! I tried to do this the other day, and it didn't all add up to fitting in a 4-cup/quart jar. The ingredients add to more than 4 cups- is there a typo somewhere? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these turned out so cute...like the burlap! missed you today too, looking forward to starting up our crafty nights! :) u are so funny about my polish question...and good eyes btw. For some reason, I took off my boots one day and the polish was completely gone from that one toe....hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these cookies. Oh my! So delicious! The batter for my fist batch was way too dry so cookies didn't spread out. Just little lumps and not a good consistency. I added a touch of water to the second batch and they came out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete