Friday, February 15, 2013

Homemade Fruit Snacks

We have a new favorite snack. They are easy to make, taste great, are virtually mess free, and are REALLY healthy! I'm really excited about these because they fit perfectly into our family's eating habits and health conscienceness. My cousin, Michelle, tried this recipe and told me how much her kids liked them and that I had to try them. So glad I did! I tweaked the recipe to make them a little less tart.

Only 4 ingredients:

1 cup Berries (strawberries, blueberries, or cherries), frozen or fresh
1/3 cup lemon juice
A generous squeeze from the honey jar
5 Tbsp. Gelatin

Measure the berries, lemon juice, and honey in a pot and heat until the berries are nice and soft. Pour into a blender (I use a magic bullet) and blend until smooth. Stop the blender and add the gelatin. Blend again and pour into a 8x8 or 9x9 pan. Put into the refrigerator to set and then cut into cubes. I store them in the fridge just because they taste good cold, but are very portable and do well out of the refrigerator too.

**A note about the gelatin. First be sure to use all 5 Tablespoons or the fruit snacks won't be the right texture. Also I use pure beef gelatin that I buy in bulk. It is a very healthy addition to your diet and your local health food store should carry a pound of it by the brand NOW. It can be ordered online too through Amazon. Beef gelatin is tasteless, odorless, and has lots of great health benefits.

This recipe could also probably be made using raspberries and blackberries. I will try that this summer when those berries are in season. A berry blend would probably also be great. How will you make yours? Be sure to let me know if you try a new combination that turns out extra yummy!



















2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try these, so many of the recipes out there for fruit snacks just use juice. I love that yours uses the whole fruit! :)

    ReplyDelete